Facts and science behind the success of the high-protein diet
Heard a lot about the high-protein diets, haven’t you? Friends, fitness gurus, actors, and even Google say that it is the best for weight loss. Why not? Proteins take longer to digest than carbs, so it keeps you full for longer, helps burn calories during protein digestion and metabolism, builds lean muscle, and most importantly, proteins keep your taste buds alive.
- Weight loss is tricky, and it depends on many factors such as age, current weight, genes, medical history, current medication, stress levels, and lifestyle. But the high-protein diet seems to work for most people who want to shed fat. Now, let’s get one thing clear—fat and weight are different. And your target should be to lose fat and not weight. Because muscles are mostly proteins and the more protein you consume, the more lean muscle you will build. Of course, when you shed fat your weight will reduce, but if you eat a high protein diet, you will gain lean muscle mass.
- Experts recommend consumption of 0.5 – 1.0 g protein per pound of your weight per day. So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should consume anywhere between 60 – 120 g protein per day. If you are not very active but want to lose weight, you should consume about 60 – 80 g protein per day. However, if you are an active person you can consume 80-120 g protein per day.
- Protein is high calorie and therefore counting calories doesn’t really work for a high-protein diet. All you should keep in mind is that about 35% of calories should come from proteins and the rest from complex carbs and healthy fats.
- The most popular high-protein, low-carb diets are Paleo diet, Dukan diet, South Beach diet, Atkins diet, and The Zone diet.
- A high-protein diet should be followed for a month or two. Constantly being on a high-protein diet without being active can lead to arthritis, gout, etc.
- Being active is the key. If you are not active, the proteins will get converted to glucose and glucose will get converted to fat. So, instead of losing weight, you will gain weight.